It’s the 100th episode of the Advent Calendar House! Join us as we put one foot in front of the other back to 1970 to revisit a Rankin/Bass Christmas classic that dares to answer children’s questions about Santa Claus while illegally opening his mail.
Full show notes with links at https://adventcalendar.house/episodes/santa-claus-is-comin-to-town.
• Erin Evans (@mserinevans).
💬 Topics & Tangents:
• Both IMDb and Wikipedia had the premiere date wrong because of a typo in an old book. Rich Goldschmidt’s The Making of Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town and The Daydreamer gets it right.
• Former pro-wrestler Special Delivery Jones.
• Hey, IMDb, I highly doubt the Greg Thomas voicing young Kris Kringle grew up to play the saxophone in Parliament Funkadelic.
• For a while, Topper was renamed Waddles.
• Kris’s weird face he makes after being caught by the Winter Warlock’s angry trees.
• Save the Earth from Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.
• Weddings on Christmas Day used to be popular.
• The first known recording of the song Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, and our favorite versions.
📼 Retro Commercial Break:
Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town © 1970 Rankin/Bass Productions.
Theme song by Bronwen’s Ghost.
Listen to this episode of the Advent Calendar House podcast
Title: Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town