It’s Scrooge Sunday in the Advent Calendar House, so hang on to your hats as we blast back to 1987 to revisit the Filmation space western, “BraveStarr,” and its dickens of a backstory, “Tex’s Terrible Night.”
On This Episode:
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), a sometimes bipedal talking horse you forgot was in this show.
- Joey O. (@ImGonnaDJ24), whom some people call space cowboy, from Y-Not Radio.
- Sammy Hain (@SammyHain), the personification of the unknown future wearing a hat over his hood for some reason.
Topics and Tangents:
- The official BraveStarr YouTube channel.
- The Fisher-Price Western Town I used to use as a backdrop for the much, much larger Bravestarr action figure.
- Joey’s interview with Pat Fraley, the voice of Marshal BraveStarr.
- This episode of the show uses flashback scenes from the movie, “BraveStarr: The Legend,” which explains why the animation quality isn’t consistent.
- Young Tex Hex looks like a purple Faker from He-Man.
- Stampede, the show’s even bigger bad, grants Tex Hex the power of transformation, because Filmation really wanted to teach kids that things that transform are evil.
- The “present-day” husband of Tex’s former love, Ursula, looks like Fred Ward.
- The time Marshal BraveStarr found a kid dead of a drug overdose.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned:
- He-Man/She-Ra: A Christmas Special (Season 2, Episode 18)
- The Glo Friends Save Christmas (Season 3, Episode 6)
- G.I. Joe: Cobra CLAWs Are Coming to Town (Season 4, Episode 11)
- Christmas Time in the City, exploring the history and traditions of the holidays in New York City and beyond.
“BraveStarr” and “Tex’s Terrible Night” ©1987 Filmation Associates.
Listen to this episode of the Advent Calendar House podcast
Title: BraveStarr: Tex’s Terrible Night