The Advent Calendar House kicks off another Christmas countdown with the original video game crash, which leaves Santa stranded in Pac-Man’s neighborhood in 1982’s “Christmas Comes to Pacland.”
WARNING: This episode contains spoilers about Santa Claus from 11:25 to 13:30.
On This Episode
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), apparently necessary police officer in a town named after its own savior.
- Lindy (@ieatvideogames), and
- Alicia (@thinkbluee), the Sour Puss and Chomp-Chomp to my Pac-Baby.
Topics and Tangents
- Santa is flying with 8 reindeer, including Rudolph. Who got the night off?
- Why some reindeer actually have red noses.
- This might be the first time a Christmas special shows Santa using a computer.
- Russi Taylor’s Pac-Baby has the same voice she would later use as Robin in “Muppet Babies.”
- No one in Pacland knows about Christmas, yet the Ghost Monsters know “Jingle Bells,” which admittedly isn’t all that Christmassy, so it gets a pass.
- Absent from this special is the Ghost Monsters’ boss, Mezmaron, who looks like Darth Vader with his helmet off at the end of “Return of the Jedi.”
- Is Pac-Man living in a town where everything is shaped like him the Pac-person equivalent of cartoonists drawing faces or eyes on everything to personify them?
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned
- He-Man/She-Ra: A Christmas Special (Season 2, Episode 18)
- Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas (Season 2, Episode 20)
- Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire (Season 3, Episode 9)
- G.I. Joe: Cobra CLAWs Are Coming to Town (Season 4, Episode 11)
Christmas Podcast Network promo:
- A Bomb for Christmas, made for podcast Christmas movie by Tim Babb of the Can’t Wait for Christmas Podcast, co-starring Mike as “Captain Willis.”
“Christmas Comes to Pacland” © 1982 Hanna-Barbera Productions.
Listen to this episode of the Advent Calendar House podcast
Title: Christmas Comes to Pacland