On this Scrooge Sunday edition of the Advent Calendar House, we venture into the uncanny valley on a trip back to 2009 to rewatch Disney’s motion capture nightmare version of “A Christmas Carol,” starring 4 Jim Carreys, 3 Gary Oldmans, 2 Robin Wrights, and a Cary Elwes in a pear shape.
On This Episode:
- Mike Westfall (@fallwestmike), a touch cross-eyed and mysteriously shrinking for no reason.
- Matt Weiland (@DinnahDawg), chasing me through the streets of the future in a phantom hearse, and a fee-free Disney Vacation Planner at Matt’s Dream Destinations.
Topics and Tangents:
- Watch “A Christmas Carol’ on Disney+ while it’s still there for the Christmas season.
- Respect to a Disney movie that jumps from a storybook opening to a corpse’s face.
- Despite being the 5th highest grossing Christmas movie as of 2020, this is also considered one of the biggest box-office bombs of all time.
- Coins on a corpse’s eyes in 19th century England had less to do with paying the ferryman’s toll and more to do with keeping their eyes closed.
- Cary Elwes, who plays one of the “portly” solicitors, is a descendant of John Elwes, a real-life inspiration for the character Scrooge.
- Christopher Walken as Captain Hook in “Peter Pan Live” and forgetting his lines.
- Whoever updates Disney’s Movies website accidentally credited Gary Oldman as both Kermit the Frog and Robin the Frog. No one tell them. I think it’s funny, and I hope it stays like that for a bit.
- Macy’s Dickens Village in Philadelphia.
- The Ghost of Christmas Present’s whatever-he’s-doing with turning Scrooge’s floor transparent and flying the entire room around London is some weird mix between Disney’s Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Soarin’ rides.
- Jim Carrey on his various accents for Scrooge and the ghosts of Christmas Past and Present.
- Playing Want, of the usually cut for time Ignorance and Want, is Julene Renee, whom I remember from Nickelodeon’s “Roundhouse.”
- Christmas Yet to Come and the 6-minute chase scene we never knew we were missing.
- It’s a Robert Zemeckis movie, so of course we get Scrooge hitching a ride on the back of a moving vehicle.
Previous Podcast Episodes Mentioned:
- A Christmas Carol Cast Draft (Season 1, Episode 8)
- Mickey’s Christmas Carol (Season 3, Episode 1)
- The Stingiest Man in Town (Season 4, Episode 10)
Other Previous Scrooge Sunday Episodes
- Mister Magoo’s Christmas Carol (Season 4, Episode 8)
- The Real Ghostbusters: Xmas Marks the Spot (Season 4, Episode 3)
- BraveStarr: Tex’s Terrible Night (Season 5, Episode 3)
- McDonald’s “Scrooge’s Party” Chicken McNuggets Commercial, 1984, as preserved by Dinosaur Dracula.
- Merry Britsmas, exploring Christmas music, TV, film, and traditions from a British perspective.
- Yuletide TV, a quest to try and find the best Christmas TV episodes ever made.
“Disney’s A Christmas Carol” © 2009 Disney.
Listen to this episode of the Advent Calendar House podcast
Title: Disney’s A Christmas Carol